It's a big one! I've been battling on with some studio paintings recently. I'll be honest with you I feel I'm on a huge learning curve!
Here are my main aims with studio paintings -
- To paint on a much larger scale
- To carry to a further point ideas I have gathered from plein air painting sessions
- To keep the same simplicity and lively brushwork in the studio paintings that I have in my plein air work
- First and foremost to keep the excitement and inspiration going when one step removed from the beloved subject
- Related to the above point and also due to working on a much larger scale, the awkward middle period when you really don't know if the thing is going to work or not goes on much longer and so...
- It's harder to break through the pain barrier!
The only drawback with painting in the garden is really that I have to keep kicking the football for Maisie. And sometimes I have to sit down with an ice cream or a glass of ginger beer. Ho hum.