Monday, March 18, 2013

Essaouira day one!

Hopefully this will work, I'm attempting to blog via email again!
Well here I am in Morocco and what an interesting day, what a fascinating place! There's so much to see here it's sometimes hard to choose where to stop and paint.
I have managed five and a half paintings today with varying degrees of success! First two were a bit ropey but I was fairly happy after that.
This was number five. Look at all the seagulls sitting along the wall and on the rocks! I love the white against dark of those and the dark against light of the flying seagulls seen against the sky.
There are lots and lots of dogs, cats and seagulls here.
I wasn't very happy when the wind threw my stainless steel turps container off my easel (full of my new clean Winsor & Newton distilled turpentine) upside down into a deep brownish dubious looking puddle from which I had to fetch my now empty container.
Would have been better if that had happened on day five or even six...

11 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my trip to Morocco years ago. Have a great time and thanks for blogging from there! Beautiful painting even without turps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just in awe five paintings on day one!! The light and tones are gorgeous. We look forward to a whole exhibition by the end of the week!! How is painting alongside Ken Howard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I was painting on my own today but I'm sure I'll paint near Ken at times, it's great to have the opportunity to chat to him, he always has such interesting stories :-)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, I love this one! Such a good composition, and those light and dark gulls, just wonderful. Sounds like you've made a great start, and will use all those panels you put together. Can't wait for the next one. Don't forget to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobbi! I've been really good at sticking to the 'hour and a quarter max' rule of Ken's for plein air painting. If I can keep the pace all week I'll have lots to show you. You would love it here x

      Delete
  4. Expressive and free! I get the feeling of the water moving and the birds flying around. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! The gulls were an essential part of the subject for me :-)

      Delete
  5. A lovely day one painting Haidee, keep them coming. Sorry to hear that you lost your very expensive Turps. Keep smiling though and think that you are very fortunite to have Ken handy incase eh?
    All the best Haidee.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great painting Haidee - that was one of if not my favourite spot to paint from last week at about 2pm (apart from the smell with everyone using it as a toilet and rubbish dumping ground).
    I almost lost my easel to the wind the one day, fortunately i rescued it but the painting was destroyed.
    Look forward to seeing the rest of the collection as the week unfolds..
    Say hi to Ken, Nola and Jane for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a lovely loose painting, cant wait to see them all. 5 in a day! is that a record? Hope you are enjoying the warmth, it's freezing here!!
    Have fun, Joy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...