Friday, August 9, 2013

Sails up in harbour

Sails up in harbour
Glorious weather again today, and a day away from the oil paints. I had the luxury of three hours 'waiting time' in Paimpol which I was happy to turn into sketching time at the harbour.
This is my fourth and final drawing of the same scene, and by this one I felt I was getting somewhere!
I was elated when the red sail was raised on that boat, do you know that? Just elated!
I would have completely missed that if I hadn't been sat there sketching. Stopped and watching and waiting. Absorbing the sights and sounds. Every time you snap a quick photo of a scene and move on you miss so much.
Also it was a lesson in perseverance. I struggled throughout the series of sketches and each one got better and closer.
And I feel a studio painting coming on!

If you are on twitter, you can find me there as @HaideeJoSummers
I am posting a drawing every day in August, along with many other people who are #drawingaugust. Today I posted all four!

And after all that sketching and two boules of ice cream I picked up my good friend Lori Putnam from the train station, and I'm very excited to show her the island and be able to paint together over the coming few days :-)

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful sketch, Haidee! Such a fabulous composition. And I loved the progression through the sketches on twitter. Are they watercolor, or pen, or a combination? #paintingaugust, what fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobbi! The sketches are a combination of felt pens and watercolours :-)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful capture, it just shouts look at me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Haidee.
    I love this sketch. Is it done with pen and coloured pencils? I would like to know. All the best.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not coloured pencils Vic, it's pen and watercolour :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...