Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Shipwreck before downpour, Brehat

Shipwreck before downpour, Bréhat
Owww! My right hand is really hurting from rubbing wax into frames all day! On the plus side eight more paintings are now beautifully dressed and looking lovely for the exhibition, including this one which the ladies from my painting holiday will remember from May. Another rainy painting session!
I like to have frames made in untreated wood, and then I give them two or three coats of Farrow & Ball paint, in a colour that suits. When that's all dry I coat the frame in beeswax and then rub it all off (that's the hand hurting/time consuming part!) which means that not only is the frame a gorgeous hand painted colour but also better protected against dirt or damage! :-)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like it is going to be a beautiful show. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, I'll post some photos on here when it's up and running!

      Delete
  2. Bienvenue au club !... En ce moment je suis en train de faire la même chose que vous !...
    La tâche n'est pas simple !...

    Ce beau bateau mérite toutefois cette dure besogne...
    J'aimerais voir le résultat...

    Gros bisous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J'espère qu'il vaut la peine Martine! Je vais prendre beaucoup des photos de l'exposition pour vous voir! (Désolée mon français est mal!) Bisous a vous x

      Delete
  3. Love the colours in this! I bet with a matching frame it looks stunning. I try to hand finish too but sometimes wonder if I have the right technique. Do you try to get a 'distressed' look or use more solid colour tones? I find all the rubbing back can be quite tricky and time consuming. With you on the waxing....such a lush finish...well worth all the effort :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, no I don't try any distressing, just build up a nice solid matt colour and then the wax for a bit of sheen and protection. I tend to go for light colours like off-white's and greys. I haven't framed many of the works on canvas. I think I'll have 60 plus framed though, and I'm hoping it will look quite nicely unified when it's all up there! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...