Thursday, November 13, 2014

Last hour

Last hour on the beach
Oils 16" x 20" SOLD

I painted this en plein air on the French island of Bréhat this summer. It was fairly late afternoon when I got started, a very hot day, and the tide was going out. It was the usual race against the clock, and it was important to get a statement down quickly about the sea and where it reached to on the sand and pinky rocks. 
I was very grateful for the can of cold drink on my easel that Tim brought me. Some local and Parisian friends stopped to say hello. I didn't want to take my eyes from the subject!
So funny, the things you remember. Every plein air painting has a story like no other. This one takes me right back to lazy hot August days on the island.

I'm very happy to say that this painting will be exhibited in the forthcoming Royal Institute of Oil painters exhibition at the Mall Galleries, London. The exhibition is open from the 10th to the 21st December, closing at 1pm on the final day.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed, though I shouldn't be, at what you can do with such few colors and gestures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow how I missed that extremly large picture, and the tranquility of Blogger, it's much more
    relaxing then FB. I looked at the painting for more then a few secs which wouldn't be possible at FB wouldn't it? I love the details and the way you painted it, ... don't know some how your more a collourist I reckon as for me being a tonalist it's still amazing how fresh things can be.

    Lovely, lovely lovely wish I could see it in real.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...