|Work in progress|
I then mixed up thicker, more opaque paint for the bright light greens of the sunlit areas of grass.
I also mixed up an opaque lavender grey for the shed doors. Later I decided this was too light in value and so (when really dry) a glaze was applied to darken it down at which point it 'sat' better in it's surroundings.
The painting was left like this for all of January as I was fully occupied with my Nottingham exhibition. So near and yet still so far!
A return visit to Brancaster Staithe last week gave me the chance to look again at the subject and gain some fresh ideas, and also the impetus needed to press ahead and get it completed.
|The plein air study perches on top of the easel|
The first change I made was to alter the whole sky area to a sort of light valued warm grey, but I left areas of peachiness breaking through.
I had also seen the light coming down through the gap in between the sheds this time and thought that would definitely be beneficial to add. Also the roof on the left had sustained further damage and I happily let more sky show through with the new gaps. I had a firmer idea about the shape of the trees in the background too.
Tomorrow I'll show you the end result of all these layers and adjustments...