Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Hot roasted chestnuts



Hot roast chestnuts, Christmas market no 7

Another beauty was the very Victorian chestnut stall, complete with vendor wearing a top hat and waistcoat. Again the red, and the dark mauve sky - a killer combination. There were also coloured lights around the top of the stall and in the trees which were a detail too far for this little study but would definitely have a part to play in any future large studio painting. I am such a sucker for coloured fairy lights - especially the ordinary lightbulb sized ones, strung up in trees. Maybe I should go to Blackpool? Or... the Christmas lights at Mousehole, that's probably more my scene!

I did intend to take photos throughout the painting process but only managed two and then forgot. It gives you a good idea of the goings on though, and it's the way I've tackled all of these market paintings.
I start with a warm mid grey and do a general block in of mid-toned neutral areas. You'll notice I'm not doing any kind of drawing of shapes, just dealing in broad masses.






I then work in the darkest darks, again it's masses that I'm looking for here. You can't really tell with the photo but this is not a general black, but subtly different colours - some cooler, some warmer, some reddish, some more violet. 






From here I paint in the yellow and red colour group and then the blues and then the lightest highlights. 

Squinting all the while, I'm aiming for the structure or skeleton of the scene. The viewer can put the meat on the bones.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Haidee, I do so enjoy your blogs and the generous info you give, I really enjoy watching the progress of your paintings, so inspiring!. I'm also hoping your book will have some of these progressive painting demos too, as it's a completely different process of painting to how I imagined, so different to watercolour! Hope its coming along well, can't wait to have a copy!
    When will they be on sale?
    Love
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...