Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Still life with peonies, a hen and a little china cup

Still life with peonies, a hen and a little china cup

After my flower painting workshop on Friday I came home with some gorgeous flowers. Although I have painted many still life demos in the last year I haven't painted a still life for my own enjoyment for a long time. I couldn't resist these big blowsy peonies though.

You know how I love to paint over an existing painting given half the chance? Well I had this canvas with half completed demo from the workshop so I turned it on it's side like this and that's where I began...



I then began work in acrylics with thin glazes of colour, at which stage it looked like this...


Quite dark at this point but very exciting with it's transparent colour and splashy washes! 
When the acrylic underpainting was completely dry I started on the oils...



Then it was just a case of building things up until I was happy, keeping the bits I liked until I was satisfied overall.








1 comment:

  1. Oh Haidee I absolutely love this, it is a beautiful painting and makes me :-) it is so good to see all your working as well, thanks for sharing it with us. :-))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...