Sunday, February 24, 2013

Santa Maria Formosa

Santa Maria Formosa
framed size 15" x 19" £495

I remember painting this in Venice on a misty and cold afternoon. I wasn't too sure how it was going, as is often the way! I knew I didn't want to put too much detail into the church, in fact I couldn't see much detail because every so often the fog would thicken up making it difficult to see anything at all!
I was attracted to the characterful leaning of the church buildings - I'm pretty sure they were leaning, or maybe I was leaning? Anyway, there was a little bit of life in the square with people passing through in dribs and drabs. And I liked the small touch of colour which was a stall selling glass lanterns.
You know that I don't like to touch a plein air painting afterwards but sometimes needs must. In this case I had a tiny adjustment to make. The young couple on the left shared a very brief kiss which I didn't quite manage to catch at the time. I was determined to remember it for later though as the action seemed to lend a story to the whole scene.

This is the painting as I left the site, with sort of half a girl!


I couldn't really leave her headless, she was too large in the painting to not have a head! 
So I remembered the kiss and brought the pair closer together...



There now, that's better for the lovestruck couple! If you look carefully you can see that her previous body has now become a bit of background interest. I touched nothing else in the painting, for I fear I would lose the freshness. I love the sketchy marks and thin dribbles of paint coupled with larger simplified shapes that make up this piece. And the green greys. Plus a little extra warmth in places. And those lanterns. Sorry, I'm rambling now...
 

4 comments:

  1. It takes such self control to leave a painting and not continue "fixing" things until the life has been beaten out of the painting. I'm going to try to remember your advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your saying Carol, 'the life has been beaten out of the painting'! I think it's a very fine line between 'finished' and 'finished off' don't you?! Maybe 'under-finished' is what we should be aiming for...

      Delete
  2. Wow, you've been up late posting this one. And it is a beauty, what a great idea to add the kiss, a wonderful narrative. I also like the colorful items hanging from the stall, and the cat and dog playing cat and mouse. Lovely on the misty background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobbi! I thought when the couple walked into the scene (entered stage left, as it were!) and then kissed it was a gift too good to ignore!

      Delete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...