Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Fresh fried fish 'en studio air'


You remember yesterday I showed you the 10" x 8" I painted on site in Essaouira. I am now attempting a studio painting (gasp! Yes it's not often you find me painting indoors) based on the plein air study and a few photos I have of the men who sell the fish. It was an idea I had in mind to do at the time I was there painting.
I started with this rough drawing painted in with plenty of turps in the mix.


From there I progressed to blocking in tonal values, with a nod towards colour, again using plenty of turps. I confess I was a bit horrified at this stage but you just have to stick with it really!


I was thinking it was really important to get the whole board covered in dark enough greys so that highlights added later will show up. One of the problems with the plein air sketch is that it's too light in value overall.


It was also really important to keep the paint moving freely and the edges quite vague, the brushwork loose. This because the original painting was too tight and fiddly, in my opinion.


This is where we stand so far and I'm really pleased with progress. I still can't put my finger on what it is that has got me excited, it seems so elusive. Pretty sure my subconscious will be working on it though.

If you have any ideas what it is, feel free to comment and add them to the fray!



12 comments:

  1. Je suis désolée d'avoir manqué plusieurs de vos publications... Un petit retour en arrière et hop ! un excellent moment passé en votre compagnie.
    J'aime beaucoup voir l'évolution de votre travail qui est si loin du mien... Une écriture différente et j'aime cette divergence.
    Elle traduit des sentiments, nos propres sentiments...
    J'ai pu admirer de merveilleuses peintures.
    Gros bisous à vous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'est très gentil à vous dire, merci et bisous

      Delete
  2. Haidee, this really is very impressive. I can vouch for the fact that studio painting from plein air studies can be a challenge! You;ve made it look easy though :) The composition is strong, nice bold geometric shapes, lively brushstrokes, well managed tone and colour harmony. Super stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! Haven't heard from you in ages, have you been to Spain yet? Must have an email chat soon :-)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed seeing the progression of this painting. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, there'll be a little bit more to come :-)

      Delete
  4. I so enjoy receiving your updates via email. So informative! I have been trying so hard to do the looser plein air look and get away from realism so you have been a huge inspiration to me! You asked what it might be that is missing for you? My gosh I love it as is!!! But you are so much more advanced than this so if you feel something is missing you are probably right. I would sign it and be so happy with myself. I have noticed a lot of plein air painters like that cool/warm and light/dark contrast. Could it be one of these? I'm only guessing cause I look at a lot of this style. It reminds me a bit of Kim English's style. Will be following. But like I said - I'd be so pleased with it myself here I'd sign it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TJ, it's really nice to hear that I have been an inspiration and help to you! I love to share discoveries that I make and hope to be of some use to others struggling along the same path. Keep in touch :-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for your blog and posts. Your willingness to share and explain and demo inspires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your supportive comment Steven, I'm very glad you are enjoying my blog :-)

      Delete
  6. I would say it is the Figures that drage you too the painting Haidee, it would me. I also think it is completed except for a touch here and there with the figures. Lovely painting Haidee. All the best.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haidee, this is so awesome! The addition of the men totally makes it for me. And you have them so gestural. How did you think to add them, and where did you get them from? They are like your cats in in previous paintings (the boats, Venice lovers), though these are more prominent in the painting. You are so clever! Really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...