Thursday, March 7, 2013

Unfinished self

Unfinished self

I have neglected you but I've been in hibernation mode I confess and haven't got much of anything done to tell you about. What I really really need right now is some better weather and a change of scene, so roll on Morocco next week!

This is a self portrait I was working on for a couple of days last week but I didn't quite get it finished. I don't think it will ever move on from how you see it here! But here are a few shots of the studio set up and the progress.

I was working on top of a half-finished/failed painting that I did plein air at Sutton on sea one gloomy day. About halfway through I decided to keep the sky and beach huts in the background so it is a strange combination of a landscape and the objects in the studio. 

The yuk that I started with


Here you can see the set up with the flowers and the mirror and incidentally, I didn't create the mess especially for the painting, that was already there. 

I started with a loose outline to place everything
The first colours I started with were the yellows, because that would have the biggest contrast with the colours already in place on the painting



13 comments:

  1. This is astounding that you just painted that Gorgeous self-portrait right on top of the landscape. It is stunning!! You never cease to amaze me and it reassures me that even *you* sometimes require hibernation mode. Lord knows you deserve a break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! love what you've done. Somehow when you are painting over something else, there's a freedom, a laisser faire attitude and it allows you to really let loose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I love reusing former artworks as a base for new ones, because you already have a load of exciting colours and can decide which bits to keep to help the new painting!

      Delete
  3. More ideas, my heads spinning!. Your such an inspriration to us all. I love this self portrait, And your article in 'the Artist' this month. I should have realised that would be your favourite colour.! Brilliant!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! Nice to hear I'll be meeting you at last in Bristol!

      Delete
  4. You are so talented. I really like what you've done to combine these two paintings. It's like pushing through to something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, that is such a lovely thing to say! It is an interesting area to explore... I love painting over other works and the question arises as to how much you keep of the underneath painting - I always keep little bits but never before huge sections!

      Delete
  5. Out of all the blogs that I follow, I treasure yours the most! So talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really lovely of you Teressa, thanks so much :-)

      Delete
  6. I ADORE THIS PAINTING (all caps intentional). It is full of life, structure and wonderful bits. I really love painting canvasses that aren't working as well because of exactly what you stated about the colours. This is a keeper exactly how it is - don't touch it! : )) Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...