Monday, February 18, 2013

Beach huts in the mist

Beach huts in the mist

Went to Sutton on Sea again yesterday to paint. Set off to drive... beautiful sunny day, like spring has sprung early! Arrived and went for a walk on the beach with Maisie... beautiful sunshine.


But wait... do you see that little misty patch near the horizon? It wasn't there a minute ago. Walked back to the car to collect paints and returned to beach (took less than five minutes). 
And now the whole scene looked like this -


Yes indeed, bleak. Plus the temperature had plummeted. 

I couldn't see the sea anymore, or most of the beach. After a heart dropping moment or two I decided to paint the beach huts. They were, after all, the only things I could see. Well, the nearest huts anyway.






I can't tell you how cold I was when I was painting this. I wondered more than once why I was carrying on. Where do I get this dogged determination I asked myself.

I had some really useful comments too from the odd passer by.

A nice lady said how relaxing it must be, painting. I smiled through gritted teeth. I was feeling far from relaxed. Relaxing involves warmth for a start...

Later a man said "Well, I'll give you five out of ten for perseverance anyway, on a day like this" ...
five? FIVE? FIIIIVVVEE?!! (excuse the hysteria, I was shaking like a leaf at this point and my fingers had turned blue - probably, I couldn't actually see them for the gloves)

And to top it all off, a serious faced little girl said (to herself as much as to me) "Is it a day for painting... do you think?"

Oh yes, out of the mouths of babes.


18 comments:

  1. Loving the story! Really made me laugh! Well done for persevering and producing a lovely little painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Valérie, I tell you, I'm still a little depressed just thinking about it! :-(

      Delete
  2. OH, Haidee, I laughed so hard. Poor you, a five out of 10, oh my, oh my. Here's a 12 vote from me. I just love the way you make compositions. The puddle in the foreground, it totally takes me to the huts, and you saw the darkened shape of it, and knew how to use it. I learn every time I look at one of your paintings. Time for me to be in the studio, where your field of daisies urges me on and give me inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, and now you've made me laugh and cheered me up no end! Thank you Bobbi!! Have a very happy painting session, I am off to bed! :-)

      Delete
  3. You get THE perseverance award! Bravo for being so dedicated to Plein air painting. I envy your youth! Your paintings are amazing and if we all got those results when out there- we might be joining you! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nancy, your comments meant a lot particularly on this occasion!

      Delete
  4. Kudos to you for your perseverance! I, too, enjoyed the painting and the story! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J'ai beaucoup aimé vous lire... Je suis certaine cependant, malgré le froid, et je vous plains car je suis une grande frileuse, donc je comprends ! que vous aimé énormément cette peinture. Vous y avez mis votre âme, votre ressenti... Vous avez capturé le froid et on ne doit pas oser toucher cette toile, peur que le brouillard nous mouille !...
    Une belle peinture ma chère.
    gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nigel, it was a pretty depressing trip and everyone's comments here have cheered me more than you could know! :-)

      Delete
  7. I can just picture the scene :-D. Wonderfully written. Thanks for sharing it. I am in awe of your perseverance and your ability capture the moment on canvas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely words Vandy. And for the tea and sympathy! :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh Haidee, how horrid, I can think of other uses for your long brushes when people like that come along, but unlike me, you are too nice a person. And ten out of ten for keeping your cool! Thank you for making me smile again.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joy! It's great being able to share all these funny experiences with you! :-)

      Delete
  9. 10 out of 10 for perseverance I'd say! It's beautifully warm here on the beach in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela! Enjoy your warmth! It's pretty cold here, we had a glimpse of spring and now winter's come back!

      Delete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...