Friday, January 18, 2013

Highland cattle in the snow

Highland cattle in the snow at Belton

Continuing with the snow and animal theme, here are the highland cattle I painted on Tuesday morning. I had it on good authority before I started that they are a friendly and docile bunch! Mostly they stayed away from me but this one was really curious and I think he wanted his portrait painted!



I didn't want to refuse so I put him in straight away. Then at this point I started thinking 'actually, I haven't got a very interesting composition on the go here. Just a big animal staring straight at me'. That's one of the drawbacks of painting plein air to be honest with you. For various reasons when you're outdoors you run the risk of ploughing straight in with the painting and not giving time to planning first.



And this is how it ended up! 

I've had an admin and coffee day today but I'm hoping to get back out there tomorrow, as the snow has started falling again here and is due to continue all night. For all of you stuck in a snowdrift this weekend I hope you manage to keep warm (no power cuts please!) and for my friend Carol Lee Beckx in Australia - don't go out without your sunhat and sunscreen!



10 comments:

  1. Hat, sunscreen and insect repellant because the little midges love me! I think it will be hot though 35 deg + so I will be up early tomorrow morning to beat the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Haidee.
    Really a wonderful painting. Please tell me Heidee, how do you get to these places when the snow is about? There is no way that i could use my car to get to the bottom of our road. And it seems that you have got to drive to the countryside. Please don`t keep me in suspence and let me know. All the best Haidee.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Vic, I have to use a small dangerous road in order to leave the village, for about three quarters of a mile and if I can navigate that successfully then the main roads are usually clear because they get gritted! Tomorrow may be one of those days when I can't leave the village, in which case I'll use a sledge to pull my paints and walk somewhere local :-)

      Delete
  3. Haidee you're a truly intrepid artist...nothing seems to put you off...not even herds of curious cattle and sub zero conditions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, just addicted to painting outdoors Ann - I need the challenge element, keeps me on my toes!

      Delete
  4. Thank you very much Heidee for answering my question. I really do pat you on your back for your dedication. I should say if you can do it then there isn`t any reason why I shouldn`t do it. But I am a lot older than you so probably that is the reason. Thank you again Haidee and all the very best to you.
    Vic.
    P.S. If only I lived next door to you That would give me the encouragement that I need. God Bless.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vic, painting in sub zero temperatures isn't everybody's cup of tea! Do you have a nice view of snow from your window that you could try?

      Delete
  5. Haidee-Jo--Funny you should paint that shaggy beast--I just took a photo of one stuck in the hay rack, on my way home from painting a shed in the snow. You did a great job! Love the chicken coop too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Haidee, it`s me again. last one I promise. It is belting down with snow here, West Wickham London. I have views of possible subjects. I will try it from our Kitchen and then post it so that you can comment on it and let me know, if you wouldn`t mind. Last one. All the best Haidee.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...