Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Struggles at the seaside!


It was strange because I was really looking forward to this painting session at the seaside. I had planned where to paint because I have a half finished painting and a sketch from the same spot. I wanted to do the same view, a lot larger and add figures.

I can't quite explain how challenging it was, but when I started the sky was dark and a rainbow appeared over to the right, a few brief showers, tremendous wind flapping the canvas about, then some fabulous light on the beach huts with the dark sky behind, then the light was lost, the rainbow gone, then the sky lightened up ... and the beach huts got dark... and so it went, on and on, changing and changing!

It didn't end up very cohesive, and I was painting the beach huts and the posts far too tightly, despite the difficulties of painting a straight line in the wind, and the sky was all bitty. Yep, that about covers it.

So I won't look at it again for a few days and see if I can redeem it or not!

The good news is I then did a very quick one which was much more successful (isn't that always the way? It seems so!) although completed in less than an hour. I'll get a better photo to show you of that one tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Haidee, sounds like a day at the beach. We had the same here yesterday, with a blustery wind and finally clouds coming in. But there was a lovely sunset. I think you've got a good start here, wait for a nice day, and finish it then. I'm looking forward to seeing the small one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect description of the plein air experience. It takes a lot of internal discipline to even thin of coping with the elements. It's no surprise that the highest incidence of plein air artists occurs in places with more stable climactic conditions. Never mind we still manage to make something of our trips into the fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you had a go! And you were outside. Far better than being in the studio I recon. Where was it? looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you're going to fail better to do it 'sur le motif' than anywhere else Nigel! It's Sutton-on-sea in Lincolnshire - my nearest coast, one hour 20 minutes to drive there!

      Delete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...