Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Birthday portrait

Our week on the island is passing too quickly! I thought I would show you this recent portrait commission now that it has been revealed as a birthday present for the children's father. The family wanted an informal portrait capturing how the children are at this point in their lives, hence they are sitting doing their homework as they typically do after school.
I had only an hour at their house and managed to get everything down on canvas that you can see on the second image in that time. It was pretty difficult as the children were doing a great job of acting naturally- ie moving around, but I'm pleased with how it went and that the pet cat also squeezed on!
When this stage was dry I worked on adding the colour in the studio. Please don't think I've made a mistake with those jeans- they were actually a very bright turquoise/cyan colour- not denim!
Nina is a very keen artist and so I carefully copied one of her actual lovely drawings on the paper she was working on.
I'm very pleased to hear the whole family is happy with it.

There's a photo of me trying to capture the rapidly changing sky at the beach last night! Always movement and challenges!

4 comments:

  1. Great to see the lovely confident line that starts this piece and the final portrait is a super informal image. I like the frame and wondered if that was your own work as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick, no I haven't painted this frame, I bought it all done! :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm sure you can Angela! Perhaps start with sketching from life and gradually build up your confidence :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...