Friday, September 21, 2012

Abstracts workshop

A bash at an abstract
Had a great day at my abstract workshop today with thirteen gals willing to give anything a go! We all started with the same photographic print for inspiration and all ended up with wildly different interpretations at the end of the day, just as I had hoped! We looked at different ways of extracting what we wanted from the original, making changes, considering colour scheme and balance. Everyone s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d themselves out of their comfort zones, towards the panic zone and by working on exercises like this you actually expand your comfort zone a little bit!
The one above is mine which I wouldn't call finished but I like the colour scheme that's going on there. I used watercolours, some masking and collage and soft pastels over the top of the dry paint on Colourfix paper, which remarkably seems to take anything you care to throw at it!

I didn't take many photos but here are some of the great results from the group...  

Dreda's abstract


Sandra's abstract


Pearl's abstract

You see what I mean?! We should stretch ourselves towards panic more often....



4 comments:

  1. This post is fantastic. I so wish I'd been there, it's just what I'd like to learn about. Such diverse results, but all compelling. What did the photo look like? Did people make their color decisions at the beginning, or let them happen over time. Can you share a little more of what you said as you handed out the photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobbi, I'll send you some further information :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Bobbi, I'd like to see the photo and would have liked to be there. Abstraction is something I want to learn about, but have no clue about! This post has given me a little shove in that direction. Thanks Haidee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nigel, I don't have much clue about abstracts either, but love playing around with media and designing compositions away from the restraints of subject matter! I'll send you a picture and some info :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...