Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The church of San Giacomo di Rialto, Venice, 10.30am

Click to bid
Church of San Giacomo di Rialto, Venice
Oils on canvas board, 24 x 30cms.
After getting sidetracked by the new yesterday, I managed to finish something today! This painting was done on the spot on my last trip to Venice, but on reflection it was lacking the strong tonal contrast of the shadow on the front of the church and the sunlit buildings running towards the Rialto bridge. It also had too much of a blue underpainting showing through.
I hope I haven't lost too much of the spontaneity of it in it's original form, that's the danger when you rework something painted en plein air. I was also relying on a memory almost two years old!!
Here's how it was before I started the tweaking...


I hope it hasn't suffered too badly from the experience but I wouldn't have exhibited it in the form it was so I figured I had nothing to lose!
I guess there's only one thing for it - I need to get back to Venice asap to refresh my memory! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...