Saturday, December 3, 2011

The unicorn, hyacinths and a dream

The unicorn, hyacinths and a dream
While I am on the subject of the elusive THING that I am chasing in my artwork (see yesterday's post!) I thought I would really like to show you this. I painted it last year while living in England. I had gathered these still life objects together in order to paint a demonstration for my class, but due to enormous amounts of snow the class was cancelled (we have very small dangerous rural roads there! Nobody wants to attempt to drive to an art class in those conditions and rightly so!). Therefore I stayed at home and painted the objects anyway.
I find it a very joyful painting and feel it also has a strong touch of the THING!
It also has lettering.... ah, the pleasure!
And gold leaf too - what fun!
It's also the same size canvas, a 20" x 20". And it makes a change from oranges ;)

'To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody but yourself - means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight - and never stop fighting.'
E E Cummings

2 comments:

  1. I like this, I like the sublety the softness and the mixture of elements, and the narative. I often wonder what it is I am trying to do or 'find' when I'm painting. But I can get too deep and when I'm happy and feeling good the painting often reminds me that I have already achieved what I was trying to do, does that make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if I understand, are you saying we over-think?! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...