Friday, December 2, 2011

Pumpkin, roses and clementines 2

Pumpkin, roses and clementines 2
It was a much easier day today with occasional rain but big spells of sunshine too. I was able to have three of the four pets outdoors, while I continued with yesterday's painting.
I really wanted to brighten it up in places, but keep the spontaneity. I'm not altogether sure it's finished yet, so I've hung it up where I can keep glancing at it and see what ideas bounce back to me.
What do you think?
Fellow artists I expect you will understand when I say that every now and then you complete a painting and think 'yes, that has that certain nameless thing, that me-ness, that je ne sais quoi, that undefinable THING that I am chasing, the germ of a direction I need to be taking', and this is one of those paintings for me.
Now if only I could name and harness what that THING is, we'll be laughing!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting,
    solutions Impressionists, the intense colors and the originality of the composition resulted in a great job!
    a hug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this does have that certain special quality. Very nice. I love the bold colors and brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! It feels much better to work bigger for me x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your colors are fabulous as usual but with a different palette of pink and orange emphasis. Very Fauve! I think yo6u have great energy in application and your design helps the eye flow smoothly within the painting.
    I am interested in what you are refering to as the Thing. Do you mean it does not look like what you usually do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Julie! I don't exactly mean that, but that sometimes when I complete a painting I feel that it's achieved something that resonates with me - it seems closer to what I'm trying to achieve in all my work. It seems more truly me. Putting my finger on what that thing is is the difficulty, but I know it involves the following- plenty of colour, pattern, juicy fluid paint, brushstrokes that look carefree and alive. I haven't felt that very often lately whist I have been trying to work on a small scale! One day I feel that I will look at all those certain paintings together and I will learn something! Sorry to be so vague! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blue works very well with the pink and orange. You do well with bold and loose...something that I try from time to time (and enjoy doing) but always returning to something not quite as rewarding. I love your term Juicy Fluidity and I think it's worth chasing and pinning down. You are already a good artist with nothing to prove...it's perhaps a time to be better than good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your paintings are beautiful. I love your colors. It is so nice to be able to look online at other artists work and feel inspired by them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...