Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Half done!

This is a work in progress that I am painting for a commission. All of it up to this stage was painted on location at the beach. I thought you would be interested in seeing a work in progress rather than always a finished piece. I don't know if you can tell from the photo but this is a lovely linen canvas, and the linen is what's showing as the sea and the sand at the moment. It makes a good stand-in, as tonally it is very similar. I am strongly tempted to leave it like this! I do so much like the colour of the linen that I will try to leave it showing in some places. In case you are wondering the canvas is primed with a clear primer rather than a white gesso, and this mid-tone is so much more beneficial to paint on than white. So what I've tried to do is to get as much essential information as I could, such as where the dazzling light was on the water, the dark areas, details such as the boats and the man at the water's edge. (Did you spot him?)
I have also been working on an oil painting based on this sketch. Again the dazzling sparkles on the water and the silhouetted figure that I love so much! I just wish I saw the boats with their sails up more often, but then when they are open they're on the move so you don't have much time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...